Street Closing Guidelines

Street Activity Permits are required for Street Fairs, Block Parties, Farmers’ Markets, Block Cleanups, and Sidewalk Closings. In planning your event, please be reminded of the following:

  1. Applications for Street Activity Permits are now filed on-line using a major credit card or personal check.
    To apply on-line, go to and select “SAPO E-Apply”. As a new user, you must first create an account. Once you have completed that process, you may proceed to fill out an application for your street closing. A copy will be sent to me electronically for my approval. Please apply at least one hundred (100) days prior to your event. This will enable me to submit my comments on your application in a timely fashion to the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office.
    You should be aware that when using a major credit card, the fee will be $25.75. Please be reminded that the application fee is non-refundable. Rain dates are no longer available for block parties. Remember, block closings for parties or other events can begin as early as 9:00 a.m. and must end no later than 9:00 p.m. and are permitted for eight hour blocks of time.
  2. At the request of the 75th Precinct and for reasons of public safety, we ask that you not schedule events on the following dates:
    June 13th, 14th, 21st , and 28th July 3rd, 4th, 5th, 24th, and 25th August 8th and 9th
    September 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th
  3. If the event occurs on streets abutting New York City Housing Authority buildings, you must obtain a letter from the Commanding Officer of PSA (Police Service Area) #2 in support of the event. When applying for these events on-line, a copy of PSA #2’s letter must be uploaded with the application.
  4. If you are not the president of your Block Association you must submit to me a letter signed by the president consenting to the closing or in the absence of an organized association a letter/petition signed by a majority of the adult residents of the block with their corresponding addresses.
    If you need assistance to apply online, call the Community Board Office at (718) 498-5711
    Do not close off streets by parking cars at the intersections. This practice is illegal and a threat to public safety. Speak to the Community Affairs Officers at the 75th Precinct for advice on how best to close off the street safely.

NO PARKING paper signs may be made available through the 75th Precinct. When posting these signs, do not pin, staple, tack or nail them onto trees. This practice causes harm to the tree and is a summon sable offense. Tape or string is recommended.
Sound device permits for the use of electronic sound amplification devices (i.e., speakers, amplifiers, microphones, etc.) may be obtained at the 75th Precinct. The Police Department charges a separate $45 fee for sound device permits.